Why we need to raise the property tax
Using property tax to fund social and affordable housing is not a radical idea: it is done elsewhere as a matter of course
The Social Housing Bill of 2016 is at committee stage in the Dail. It proposes that when building homes, a minimum of 25 per cent of them would be social and affordable housing through what’s known as ‘part five’ (Part V) of the 2000 planning act.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events.
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Michael Brennan, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider.
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive.