Karl Deeter: Why the vacant site tax is a horse with no hope
A universal land levy would be a far superior option to the costly alternative, which is already doomed to failure
I was asked recently why I was in favour of a land tax given that we can soon expect a ‘vacant site tax’ in our cities.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Tom Lyons, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive