An Italian job on the shores of Lough Erne
On the banks of Lough Erne lies a country house inspired by Andrea Palladio’s Villa Forni Cerato
Anyone with an interest in Irish country houses has no doubt encountered the influence of Andrea Palladio in some way or another. The great villas designed by the Italian architect in the 1500s catered in the main to a small Venetian elite, but they formed a style that would eventually spread across the English-speaking world. Some of the finest revival works on this island – Russborough in Wicklow, Kildare’s Castletown House, and Florence Court in Fermanagh – still enchant visitors today, nearly three centuries on from their construction.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Tom Lyons, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive