Hedging your beds
Whether breaking your garden into a series of picturesque rooms or seeking privacy, now is the time to plant a hedge
If you have been thinking of planting a hedge, there is no better time than autumn to do it. Hedges have many different functions – to provide shelter and privacy, to block unsightly views and reduce noise pollution, to edge beds, to mark property boundaries or to break up the space in a larger garden. They’re also the perfect wildlife habitat. The type of plants you should use will depend on the function of the hedge and whether the garden is rural, suburban or urban. But broadly speaking, any shrubs or trees can be used in the context of a hedge.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Tom Lyons, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive