Why does it cost so much to build an apartment?
It could cost up to €578,000 to develop a city centre apartment, which would then sell for around €383,000
You know things are out of kilter when the cost of building apartments exceeds the actual selling price in most parts of the country. Yet, that is the case in Ireland, where a string of recent reports found that it is simply financially untenable to build apartments.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Tom Lyons, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive