Bringing the buzz back
We can all play a part in protecting our pollinators
Our gardens are sources of food, not just for us, but also for myriad other creatures. With changes in farming and land-management practices, gardens are becoming a vital refuge for wildlife, especially pollinators. Bee, butterfly and hoverfly numbers are declining – of our 98 species of bees in Ireland, 30 are threatened with extinction and 12 are near threatened. These figures are worrying, but every landowner, gardener and even those with only enough space for a window box can play their part in bringing these bees back from the brink.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events.
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Michael Brennan, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider.
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive.