Benefiting the wealthy, forsaking the needy
Our farcical social housing system is undercharging those who can afford private sector rent, while denying those who cannot
The rental crisis is written about everywhere; rents are too high. This is not unique to Ireland. In the US, one Jimmy McMillan, an interesting character who sported a handlebar moustache, founded the ‘Rent Is Too Damn High!’ party, under which he ran for mayor and governor of New York in 2005, 2009 and 2010. He is now best remembered as a viral internet meme.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events.
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Michael Brennan, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider.
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive.