How Beckett’s late-night scribblings divided the critics
A headline lot in Adam’s Works on Paper sale next week makes it clear that Samuel Beckett began as he meant to go on. In 1930, his first published poem, Whoroscope, bamboozled critics, comments ranging from high praise to philistine outrage.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events.
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Michael Brennan, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider.
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive.