The Honohan Files
The correspondence that reveals how the governor pressed for cuts ahead of budgets 2013 and 2014
Patrick Honohan, the outgoing governor of the Central Bank, told Michael Noonan, “Don’t ease up now,” as the Minister for Finance prepared to introduce €2.5 billion in cuts in Budget 2013. Honohan wrote to Noonan on September 25, 2012, three months before a budget which introduced the local property tax and cut child benefit, among a range of other austerity measures.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Tom Lyons, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive