State fails to notify EU of its sugar tax proposal
Ireland is obliged under law to formally notify the European Commission of plans to introduce the tax but has not yet done so
The government has yet to formally notify the EU of its intention to introduce a sugar tax next year, raising fresh doubts about the planned levy on sweetened drinks.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Tom Lyons, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive