So the politicians spent the €1.5bn — what did you expect?
Fiscal straitjacket rules mean surpluses should be order of the day by 2021
The surprise in the budget was not in the budget. That extra €1.5 billion in supplementary spending outlined in the White Paper on Revenue and Expenditure, published in the wee hours of last Saturday morning, was the surprise.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events.
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Michael Brennan, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider.
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive.