Seconds out: Europe and US prepare for a battle over trade
With Brexit parked for now, the European Union and the US are to start talks on a trade deal. But already hackles are raised
Officials in Brussels were able to heave a small sigh of relief last week, for two reasons. They didn’t have to board the Brexit bus once again, or pretend to smile at British negotiators turning up with the same pieces of frayed paper as the week before. And they finally agreed to start the outstanding trade negotiations with the US, the kind of distant conversations which ultimately have a direct impact on the cost of everything we buy – food, drugs, cars, household goods, machinery.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events.
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Michael Brennan, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider.
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive.