Mutual dislike may result in another quick election
Attempts to bring the two main parties together seem only to have deepened the enmity
One has been a TD for more than 40 years, the other for 26. They’ve been sparring across the floor of the Dáil on a weekly basis for five years. But in conference room 716 at the end of a bridge connecting Government Buildings and Leinster House at 8.30pm last Wednesday, there was no hint of the familiarity that would normally characterise a relationship between men who had spent so much time in the same workplace.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Tom Lyons, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive