Mary Regan: The fall and rise of a damaged party
After more than doubling its seats, Fianna Fáil is now concentrating on maintaining momentum
When he first cut his teeth in politics, Micheál Martin was given advice from Cork’s Fianna Fáil figurehead of the day, the late Joe Walsh: “Be prepared for the long road and the long term.” After rising to what many believed to be the most difficult job in Irish politics five years ago, to doubling the number of seats for his party last month, Martin knows he still has some miles to go on Fianna Fáil’s long road to recovery.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events.
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Michael Brennan, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider.
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive.