HSE's cross-border care obligations explained
New EU legislation means Irish patients can go anywhere in the EU for medical treatment – and the HSE must foot the bill
This summer, 76-year-old Maura Duggan will travel to Northern Ireland to get a hip operation. She is getting this done in a private hospital, but Ireland’s HSE is footing the bill.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Tom Lyons, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive