Are hospitals overcrowded? Oh, yes they are
Government surprise at the latest health crisis is just the usual post-Christmas panto
The only surprising thing about last week’s hospital overcrowding crisis is that the minister in charge seemed to find it surprising. “It’s very easy for people to predict this was going to happen after the event. None of the evidence indicated this severe a problem,” Simon Harris said as the numbers of patients on trolleys, chairs or elsewhere in hospital corridors reached an all-time high.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Tom Lyons, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive