Grandparents deserve more than being ‘just wrecked’
‘I’m very tied.” “Tied with the grandchildren.”Those were the expressions that kept cropping up in an interview with a grandmother from a working class community. Being tied down with grandchild care was not just her personal experience, but the experience of other grandparents in her neighbourhood, whom she met at the school gates, delivering and collecting children up to three times a day. Another grandmother stated that minding her young grandchild from 7am every morning left her “absolutely wrecked”; and mentioned her neighbour, who looks after five grandchildren every day, despite having a heart condition, also being “just wrecked”.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events.
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Michael Brennan, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider.
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive.