DUP manages to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory
But shambles does benefit Varadkar and May, as attitudes towards a soft Brexit begin to thaw
When I wrote here last week that things were going to get tougher for Leo Varadkar this week and signalled problems for the DUP if there was to be any question of an east-west customs border within the EU, I admit that I did not envisage the utter shambles that was to follow when Arlene Foster told Theresa May the agreement on the Irish border issue was unacceptable.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Tom Lyons, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive