FF leader's stance a foretaste of budget battle
Micheál Martin has laid down a marker on tax at his party's think-in by demanding a cut in USC, writes Michael Brennan
The first Fianna Fáil think-in was held back in 2003 in the Slieve Russel hotel in Cavan. It was the brainchild of former Taoiseach Bertie Ahern, who was facing growing discontent from ambitious backbenchers. The aim was to have the TDs let off steam - which is one of the reasons the think-ins became nicknamed ‘drink-ins’.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Tom Lyons, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive