Clergy’s silence on Eighth speaks volumes
The Catholic hierarchy’s reticence in the referendum debate would have been unthinkable in the 1980s
During the 1983 referendum to insert the Eighth Amendment into the Constitution, clerics like Bishop Eamonn Casey and Fr Michael Cleary were in full flight.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Tom Lyons, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive