Matt Cooper: Noonan's last stand?
He has hung in there since 2011 - but his record may be tarnished by recent miscalculations
In recent weeks, Michael Noonan has suffered a series of significant difficulties, including the surprise battering from the European Commission on the Apple tax arrangements, his incorrect assertion that any money collected would have to go against the national debt instead of being spent, the controversy about Nama’s handling of the sale of its Northern Irish assets and a rather Polyanna-type approach to the dangers for this country from impending Brexit.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Tom Lyons, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive