BUDGET 2016: A giveaway budget
From childcare to health to exercising restraint close to an election, the budget is prey to many conundrums
The government is heading into its final budget on Tuesday with the most favourable economic tailwind of its entire term. Tax revenues could be €2 billion ahead of forecast by the end of the year. Oil has dropped from $100 to $50 a barrel, leading to lower electricity bills and cheaper prices at the pumps. And the euro has dropped more in value against the dollar and sterling, bringing a flood of US and British visitors to the country.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events.
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Michael Brennan, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider.
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive.