Blurred lines between politics and sport
Soft political power of World Cup now in Putin’s armoury
Last week, during a lengthy and likely scripted phone-in with Vladmir Putin on Russian TV, the president took the opportunity to further blur what lines are left between sport and politics. Asked about the on-going tension and conflict next door, he said that any military action on their part during this festival of football would have “very serious consequences for Ukrainian statehood”. It was another use of this tournament as a demonstration of soft power, and there'll be many more.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Tom Lyons, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive