Matt Cooper: A House Of Cards
Government will collapse under weight of inherent contradictions
Never has an Irish government taken office with such low expectations and so little support, both within the Dáil and outside. Friday’s farcical proceedings that, belatedly, brought about the re-election of Enda Kenny as Taoiseach and the instalment of a Fine Gael/independent minority coalition government only emphasised what critics have been warning for weeks: the construct of this latest government edifice is rotten.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events.
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Michael Brennan, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider.
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive.