We will rue mixing this dangerous cocktail of alcohol and sport
Why are we letting the drinks industry cynically promote a product that wreaks devastation across our society?
Next Sunday, thousands of rugby fans will pack the Aviva Stadium as Ireland play France in the Six Nations. If events off the field follow the usual pattern that has emerged in recent years, there will be a bizarre situation just before the game begins and also during and after half-time. When the teams line up for the pre-match presentation involving the President and the playing of the anthems, the stadium will be almost half-empty. How come, if the match is, as usual, a sell-out?
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events.
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Michael Brennan, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider.
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive.