Will Facebook apologies mean any change?
Facebook has failed horribly at regulating its own content. The job now falls to Irish lawmakers
There was a telling moment during Facebook’s appearance in front of the Oireachtas communications committee last week. One by one, members unloaded on Facebook, scolding them over the failures exposed by the Channel 4 documentary Dispatches in the office of their Dublin subcontractor, CPL Resources. Niamh Sweeney, the company’s head of public policy for Ireland, and Siobhan Cummiskey, head of content policy for Europe, diligently took notes as deputies levelled their criticisms.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Tom Lyons, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive