What’s so wrong with the Leaving Cert?
Critics of the Leaving find it hard to come up with an alternative – for good reason
With the publication of the results of the Leaving Certificate there has been the usual hand-wringing as to whether the exam continues to serve any purpose. Politically correct buzzwords are used, such as in the Irish Times leader last Wednesday, which was headed “A signpost, not a final destination”. It also appears that reports into our state examinations are now like Dublin buses in that you wait ages for one and then two come along together. But what does all of this mean and is there really anything we need to be concerned about?
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events.
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Michael Brennan, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider.
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive.