Ray Bassett: The Tories’ calamity can be Ireland’s opportunity
With Britain’s prime minister probably doomed, the appetite for a hard Brexit has weakened
The final seats have been decided in the British general election, and the common consensus is that it is a mess and that the prime minister, Theresa May, has performed disastrously. As a consequence, she is fatally damaged. The Tory Party is uncompromising with leaders who are perceived as having failed. It was William Hague who put it best by saying that the party operated like an “absolute monarchy, moderated by regicide”.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events.
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Michael Brennan, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider.
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive.