Letter from Paris: Today’s winner will inherit a fragmented France
In their own way, both Macron and Le Pen have tapped into something. A desire for change
I’m a blow-in in Paris: fresh, enthusiastic and still tripping over my very foreign feet in awe of the city’s beauty. At language classes, in rooms brimming with other new arrivals, politics is an avoided topic. The tutor steers us to safer ground, a wise course perhaps in a group of such varied nationality.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Tom Lyons, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive