Time to get serious about regional development
Hard to see the grandiose Project Ireland 2040 plan making progress
The continuing trend of out-of-town shopping, changes in consumer behaviour, the inadequacy of rural broadband, lack of foreign direct investment firms and other factors are brewing up a perfect storm under which rural Ireland will suffer irreversible decline. Some of these factors were brought into focus in a report published last week by the Society of Chartered Surveyors on ‘Rejuvenating Ireland’s Small Town Centres’. Combine those concerns with a government which is far too Dublin-centric in its approach and it is hard to see how this trend can be reversed any time soon.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events.
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Michael Brennan, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider.
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive.