The buck stops with civil servants too
The Callinan letter shows how politicians rely on bureaucrats
Sir Humphrey’s usual languid disposition was in danger of giving way to impatience. What in heaven’s name did his younger colleague imagine was the purpose of a minister? A minister, Sir Humphrey explained, should confine himself to three functions:
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Tom Lyons, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive