A European army is an idle pipe dream for bored federalists
The EU cannot go to war. It has no democratic authority to control an army.
Have you ever noticed that whenever federalists in Europe are feeling a little down and weary, they reach for the soother and the comfort blanket, snuggle up and drift off in a fantasy dream? Instead of accepting the EU for what it is and instead of taking pride in it for what it is, they prefer to fantasise about what it might become.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Tom Lyons, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive