Supplies of monetary methadone will continue
The ECB's decision on QE illustrates the dilemma facing central banks across the world
Two headlines that followed the ECB’s Governing Council decision yesterday perfectly sum up the central bank’s predicament. “Draghi refuses to call end to ECB crisis measures”, said the Financial Times. Within minutes, the Wall Street Journal piped up with “ECB sets out plan to pare back stimulus”.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Tom Lyons, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive