Being strategic with social policy
By turning our backs on goody bags and focusing on investment, we can aim to address crises identified before budget day
My daughter turned nine recently, and we threw a party. She wanted to give everybody goody bags going home. We told her she would have to choose: if she wanted goody bags, there would be less money to invest in the party. Or in concrete terms: no magician.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events.
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Michael Brennan, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider.
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive.