Elaine Byrne: These Garda scandals are straight out of Kafka
The story of the Garda Síochána and the government response to scandal echoes the bureacratic nightmare of Joseph K
Joseph K is arrested one morning, without warning. For what, he is never told. The legal proceedings against him take place in secret and without his participation. The more he tries to find out why, the more confused he becomes. He is faced with an incomprehensible bizarre legal system and a farcical bureaucracy. Joseph’s journey for truth forces him to confront a limitless number of low-ranking administrators, none of whom are able to inform him of his crime.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Tom Lyons, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive