Stephen Kinsella: Free education, free water - but at a cost
Large-scale social initiatives are great ideas in theory, but we need to become much more rigorous about the maths
It was a media circus. The year was 1966. The announcement was totally unexpected. The new Minister of Education’s announcement in September of free second level education and free school transport caught everyone by surprise.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events.
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Michael Brennan, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider.
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive.