McGurk: Soft talk, but no big stick
In rejecting any threat to leave the EU should a Brexit deal prove ruinous, we have made ourselves the patsies of Europe
Readers of this paper will have been least surprised at last week’s Brexit events. By the time Theresa May had finished laying out her shopping list and when significant voices across Europe had dismissed it as a brazen attempt at cherry-picking, the dimensions of the crisis now facing not just Britain, but Ireland were becoming undeniable. By Thursday, even the Department of Finance was joining in, warning of at least 40,000 job losses.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Tom Lyons, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive