Mary Regan: Silence from Dáil on media monopolies
Successive governments have been running scared from the issues of media monopoly and press freedom for years
Three years ago, in a little-reported speech, Micheál Martin stood up in front of journalism students in UCC and called for a broader discussion on media ownership, the concentration of which he warned could have a “chilling effect” on public debate.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events.
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Michael Brennan, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider.
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive.