Short-term lets and the housing crisis
There is unquestionably a growing economic divide in Ireland. And, it is a divide based on age. Even though Ireland was a poorer place in the 1980s and 1990s, most people on a median salary could afford the trappings of a middle-class lifestyle – a house, a car, a holiday. Today’s young people face a completely different set of circumstances. As the economist Stephen Kinsella has written previously, they face a health system in crisis, an education system in need of wholesale reform and a pension system that, frankly, it would be charitable to call a time bomb.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Tom Lyons, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive