‘See if you can help this young fella’
As president of the Union of Students in Ireland (USI), I first met Liam Cosgrave in February 1973
One of Liam Cosgrave’s last public appearances – and he had few of them since retiring from public life – was as guest of honour at an event organised by the ESB at Ardnacrusha. I was present as energy minister, and the event was to commemorate the hugely ambitious hydroelectric project known as the Shannon Scheme which opened in 1929.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Tom Lyons, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive