Ray Bassett on Brexit
Now that Europe has shown its hand by rejecting the Chequers White Paper, we must go our own way or face the consequences
It is a difficult time for the Irish government. The EU strategy on Brexit, the one basket where we placed all our eggs, has failed. The project of forcing Britain to either reverse the process or accept a watered-down version, has now clearly come to an end. It had all the hallmarks of a crash or crash-through approach. The crash through did not happen. The discussions have essentially reached impasse.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events.
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Michael Brennan, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider.
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive.