The ideological turmoil behind any decision on capital gains tax
Imposing CGT on family home disposal is attractive to the mandarins, but the idea is politically suicidal
At this time of year, officials in the Department of Finance survey the entire horizon of taxable activity, in the hope of finding some low-hanging fruit which would help fund increased expenditure, lowering of other taxes or debt reduction, or all three.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events.
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Michael Brennan, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider.
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive.