Is playing hardball on the border in our best interests?
We share these islands with Britain, so we should not allow ourselves to be weaponised against them by an angry EU
Spending a few weeks away from Ireland in the Canadian capital, Ottawa, helps to give a different perspective on developments in Europe. There, all the talk was about US president Donald Trump and his demands on Mexico and Canada in the renegotiation of the North American Free Trade Agreement (Nafta).
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Tom Lyons, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive