Pat Rabbitte: Voters should be careful what they wish for
Does anybody seriously think the small parties’ proposals are workable?
Imagine the following scenario. Taoiseach Enda Kenny goes to Áras an Uachtaráin to ask President Michael D Higgins to dissolve the 31st Dáil. On his return from the Phoenix Park, the leaders of the two government parties hold a press conference. They announce that they will not repeal the emergency tax, known as the USC; that they will continue austerity conditions generally for another five years; and that whatever resources that become available will be used to write down debt.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Tom Lyons, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive