Pat Rabbitte on the politics of Repeal the Eighth
Many young people who marched yesterday will not be aware of how the issue was dealt with in the 1970s and 1980s
The author and former Labour TD John Horgan records in his book, The Price of Power, some of the exchanges within the parliamentary Labour Party in the 1970s on what had become known as “issues of conscience”. The chairman, Tom Kyne TD, was laying down the law on the need for discipline and maintenance of the whip. He digressed, however, to say that “on the other hand, if the government were, for instance, to bring in a bill legalising abortion, I might have to consider my position on that”.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Tom Lyons, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive