Lifting the veil of budget secrecy is no bad thing
More scrutiny and transparency are overdue reforms of what was traditionally a sacred process
I am unwavering in my conviction that the public interest is best served by a decisive government, an effective opposition and a robust media. Recent polls in this newspaper and in the Irish Times do not agree with me. After an unprecedented period that saw our political parties fumbling about in a fog, the polls suggest that if there were another general election, the result would be roughly more of the same. Indeed, the height of political ambition right now is that Fianna Fáil would hope to change places with Fine Gael in a similar government arrangement.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events.
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Michael Brennan, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider.
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive.