O’Sullivan just the tip of the big blue iceberg
The last thing we need is another review of the Garda Síochána. Instead, the Garda Inspectorate report should be implemented
Consideration was given in 2014 to appointing a commissioner of An Garda Siochána from outside the jurisdiction. After the issue was informally kicked around, eventually some ministers from the two parties then in government formally met to consider the terms of advertisement of the vacancy created by the departure of former commissioner Martin Callinan.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Tom Lyons, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive