Now may be the time for Varadkar to take the leap
The success of the referendum may encourage the Taoiseach to dissolve this dysfunctional government and seek a firmer mandate
Oscar Wilde said that he could “resist everything except temptation”. The Taoiseach, Leo Varadkar, will be sorely tempted this weekend to take the opportunity to put this government out of its misery and go to the country for a firmer mandate. To say that the government is frayed at the edges is to understate it. But the success of the referendum to repeal the Eighth Amendment to the Constitution is a landmark achievement.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events.
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Michael Brennan, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider.
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive.