Pat Rabbitte: No ad hoc pay deals made under duress
Fine Gael, of all parties, has given the impression that it has acquiesced in gardaí being entitled to strike
Who would have forecast that, in government, the party of law and order would face one of its most serious challenges from the Garda Siochána? It might reasonably have been expected that Fine Gael would, for example, have baulked at legislating for the X case or for marriage equality. Yet these hurdles were overcome, if not entirely without some internal trauma.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events.
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Michael Brennan, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider.
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive.