New thinking needed as Brexit looms ahead
If we get stiffed by the EU on Brexit, there is an alternative – but only if we have the courage to stand up for ourselves
The remarkable documentary Atlantic, by Risteárd Ó Domhnaill, was shown on RTÉ last week. It told the story of how the EU took €184 billion-worth of fish out of Irish waters, while the net EU contribution to Ireland in cash in the same years was €41 billion. Once again, our political class had got a major negotiation utterly wrong. Are they about to repeat themselves as we await Brexit, caught in the headlights, with one diplomatic arm as long as the other?
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Tom Lyons, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive